Cyprus – the family friendly destination
24th January 2019
Cyprus is a very family-friendly destination with amazing beaches, lovely food and a broad range of attractions for adults and children. It was recently ranked third in Europe for most family friendly destination for a beach holiday.
The culture revolves around the extended family and children are well-catered for. There are beaches, castles, ancient sights and pretty much year-round sunshine. If you add the water parks, museums, parks, boat rides and bucket loads of ice cream you have guaranteed smiles.
Our villas are on the East coast of Cyprus, in Kapparis, Ayia Triada, Protaras and Pernera. They are a 45 minute drive from Larnaca Airport which is a 4-5 hour flight from the UK depending on which airport you fly from.
All the beaches are sandy and very sheltered (so perfect for paddling) and along the edges of the coves there are rocky pools & caves to explore! The snorkelling is amazing.
Restaurants & Food
Children are generally made very welcome at restaurants here. Most restaurants have a children’s menu, and as Cypriot food is not often spicy, kids tend to like it anyway.
Eating hours can be later which can take some adjustment with kids. However, it’s generally easy to pop into the nearest kebab (or similar) place, and patisseries sell plenty of savoury snacks and sweet treats.
Koubes are a big hit in our family, read more about the best local foods here.
* July and August are the warmest months and obviously most popular for school holidays.
* Late spring is a good time to travel with young children if you are not yet tied to the school holidays as the weather is still warm enough for beach days, without being too hot, and attractions are less crowded.
* A Villa stay gives the option of mixing up mealtimes with a combination of self-catering, restaurants and take-aways – great for pleasing all the family.
* Depending on the villa you choose, it is easy to holiday without needing a car as we can arrange transfers to and from the airport. But we can also help arrange car hire which allows you to explore the local area further.
* Our villa guides provide all the details you need for shopping, eating and local activities.
* Our villas offer child safe accommodation, children’s equipment, fenced pools and concierge service. Furthermore, we have the lovely Rosie, dedicated to welcome our guests and ensure they have everything they need. Our guests absolutely love her as she carefully sets up each villa based on the ages of the guests, so you get the right sort of toys and equipment for your family and can be contacted by phone/text throughout your stay should you have any questions or problems.
The Black Pearl pirate ship (Ayia Napa harbour) Proper looking pirate ship that cruises up and down the coast, catch it in Ayia Napa harbour and the trip lasts about 4 hours. The crew are in full pirate costume and the kids love it.
Shirley Valentine Boat trip (Protaras) Boat driving, diving off the side and kids disco :-).
Lynn’s Pony / Horse riding stables (Frenaros) Our girls absolutely loved the ride they had on Toffee the pony!
Magic Dancing Waters (Protaras) From May to October every night at 9pm there is a water-fountain/light and music show.
Just Scuba (Pernera) – Friendly well-run Dive centre.
St Hilarion Castle (Northern Coast) Walt Disney was inspired by this castle for Snow White; you can easily picture being a medieval king or queen up there as you survey the whole of the land from a picturesque window at the top.
Golden Donkey Sanctuary A charming little place with opportunities to feed, ride and stroke many, many donkeys.
Mazotos Camel Park (Mazotos, Larnaka) Ride on camels, then freshen up in the swimming pool.
Water Parks & Fun fairs
Water World Waterpark (Ayia Napa) Hours of fun for kids and adults who like that kind of thing. There are height restrictions on the best rides so ideal for those aged ten and up.
Anastasia Water Park (Pernera) It’s a smaller local water park and well worth a visit just for half a day. Better for younger kids.
Dolfin’s Luna Park (Ayia Napa) A special indoor playground “The Disney Room” for toddlers.
Outside there is the Luna Park with pay per ride cars, for every taste. There is a colourful carousel, a jungle train, electric cars, ball diggers and trampolines.
Museums & History
Natural History Museum (Larnaca) Great for kids, with a good playground and peacocks, pelicans and macaws, plus creepy crawlies!